Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 12, 2007

The importance of being YOU

Let me take a second to explain to you how I view and try to use this newsletter. More than a simple update, I noticed that traveling as much as I do, I needed to some feeling of belonging, of staying in touch with people that I know very well, as well as with the people that I got close to in different countries. If not, loneliness would get to me too much. I didn’t want to be a serial circle of friends type of guy, who makes friends in a place, has good times with them and shares memories, and then simply moves on to a next set of friends. No, I wanted to keep in touch, to know how people whose lives have touched me and who I hope touched as well, are going along in their lives. And more than just the where & what am I doing, I wanted to share stories, portraits of interesting people that I met, things that made me think. It has become rather massive I know, but if you think most people only understand one of the languages in it, it is still okay. Just didn’t want to deny the opportunity to the ones who are multilingual, so I include them all. Currently, I have about 400 people who receive this email, spread over 5 different languages. Some answer frequently, most don’t, and I have no idea how many really read through it. It has to do with my idea of networking though, and the theory of seven degrees. People used to analyze wealth in terms of material possessions, and power. I have hardly any earthly possessions in this life; I wouldn’t be able to take them with me anyway. So, while most of my friends have cars, and houses and furniture, I invest in human relations. Most people see power as to be high up in a hierarchy, being able to give orders and see them executed. I see it in a possibility to influence, to change, and stimulate. Isn’t real power to make things happen, to allow people to dream and help tem realize them. So, no, YOU are my true wealth, and I want to remain investing in you, not because I think it is going to bring me wealth and fortune, but because it open doors for, doors of a different nature. It has made me who I am, not what I have, and I just wanted to take a second to thank you all for that. Love to me is not limited, I don’t have just this quantity that I can spend, no, you can all fit into it, and there still seems to be place for more, because every new encounter adds to my richness, without having to leave people out.

No comments: