Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 21, 2014

How to celebrate the Belgian National Day in India

Okay, so I guess tonight I spend the most surreal Belgian National Day ever…
As you might know, I’m currently visiting our partners in India and see the projects they are implementing for my organisation, WSM. Tonight in the town of Tiruchirappali, we were supposed to meet ten construction workers and discuss their access to social security. Instead, the local parish wanted to welcome us in style, and me in particular as guest of honour.
Now, this isn't the first time for an impromptu ceremonial welcome, with necklaces made of jasmine flowers and shawls draped around you for welcome, but here, around 400 people gathered to watch dance performances, listen to thank you words and speeches and requested I sing the national Belgian anthem (which I of course hardly know the first four lines to). In between, I was paraded everywhere to pose for pictures and winded up with the local version of a Christmas tree (yes, really) on my head…



But at least we managed to speak about the pension scheme and have some people enroll, so I suppose all in a good day’s work….

No comments: