Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cinema yesterday: Sweeney Todd


Yesterday, for the first time since... well , forever, I set foot in a Belgian cinema again. This must have been years ago. Ever since big theaters seem to have become convinced that it is not daylight robbery to charge you 9,30€ for a movie... Unbelievable! I can still remember the days when we payed 100FB for a movie, 120€ if it was a long one. God, I sound old and cheap saying this ;-)

Anyway, we went to see Sweeney Todd - the Demon Barber of leet Street, the new musical from Tim Burton. The original play is actually older than me, called "The String of Pearls" in 1973.



I especially enjoyed the song "A little priest"in which Sweeney (Johnny Depp) and Mrs. Lovett (played by Tim Burton's real-life compagnon Helena Bonham Carter) discuss how to get rid of the bodies... "It is man devouring man, my dear" ;-)



Quite nice to have a proper night out again, just the two of us, and cuddling in the dark of the cinema in front of dark and gloomy London is fun, with the dramatic background music. Recommend the movie though it is not as special as could be...

No comments: