Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 10, 2007

7 days of my Plettonian life: (4) Monday 10th

It's hard to keep a blog everyday, cause I don't feel like I'm doing something interesting every day. But hey, but showing everyday life and not just the exciting bits is the goal of this experiment, right?
Let's see, as usual, I woke up with the Die Sterreweg people, around 7am, with a lot of energy which I usually use to make Thomas coffee (unfortunately not breakfast, I should work on that). Once the three of them leave, it is quiet time for me. Today that consisted of writing half a page of my book (actually, writing one page and a half and then erasing two thirds of it). I have been wondering if I should post some of it on this blog, but have decided against it for now, since too many of the characters still don't have their definite name yet and I just call them colours (Reservoir Dog style). Exceptionally, today the apartment was still rather busy. Eugene didn't go to work since he hardly slept at all and didn't feel like he was up for work, and Sander came back around 10am cause he hadn't been able to sleep either (having received multiple beestings yesterday which are troubling him). So, more company, but not much interaction.
Workwise, I called M Putco to confirm the meeting we're having tomorrow with them so that we can express our disappointment with how little municipality is taking the field band project seriously. Turns out that he has to appear in court, so we'll just meet with the different other interested parties, including some newly recruted people that I spoke to last week. We'll have to decide on who is going to go to Jo'burg at the end of this month though, when the national competition of all 25 field bands is going to take place. It would be a great event, and super to meet all the players involved.
When Thomas and Goedele got back at 2pm, we ate the lunch I'd made for the working people (this time it hadn't taken too much of an effort, just meat loaf, potatoes and defrosted spinach-fetta), but they expressed their usual thanks to coming home to a meal. Funny taking on the role of the houseman. I redecorated our room with the tissues that we have, very african style and with Boudha's, since we'd moved them to the living room for the party last Saturday and thought we'd rearrange it (pix'll follow soon).
Thomas and me played a game of chess to kill time in the afternoon, which I have been getting back into. We've been playing chess a lot lately here in the house, since Belinda's neighbours lend as a set, and it is so nice to get back into the strategical thinking of it. At 8pm, we went to play squash, with from the Belgian House: Nienke (as a spectator), freshly released from hospital today, Pieter and Eric, and from our house Goedele and Sander. Always nice to get back active and sporty, especially since last week we didn't do much. I sort of twisted my ankle though but I'm sure it'll be fine.
Afterwards, Colleen, a collegue from Milady who lives just around the corner from our place, invited us for drinks, but only Pieter and me were motivated to go. I was glad to finally get a chance to talk a bit to him walking there. Sometimes the entire group atmosphere in these group activities are getting to me, and I feel as if we're just trying to fill space and time with superficial chatting. I miss the intensity of previous volunteer experiences, where we would chat spontaniously, sometimes all through the night about whatever.
Anyway, at Colleen's, short night, some domino, cigarettes and whine and then we called it a night. Thomas went off to have drinks with some other people at Nothando's backpacker, and I am posting this blog waiting for him to get home. It is nice to sometimes have a night each on our own side, but it'll be even nicer to afterwards crawl under the covers with him for the night...
Sweet dreams to you all!

No comments: