Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 2, 2010

What does the future hold for us?

Well, the month of July is gone, and we have entered the last five months of our stay here in Zimbabwe. First visit to Harare in October 2007, selected and hired in January 2008, finally arrived in April 2008, and now been here for over two years.
End of December our contract ends and so does our stay in Zim. We liked it here, but time to move on, as there are other exciting places in the world. So, we're often getting the question what our plans are, so I thought I would share some of our (vague) ideas and dreams here.
Well, my eyes are drawn to the Arab world. I've done 4 years in South America (2003-2006: Haiti and Brazil), now four years in sub-Saharan Africa (2007-2010:South Africa and Zimbabwe) and next region in the world that I would love to explore is the Middle East or the Maghreb countries.
And of those countries, Lebanon stands n# 1 for us, followed by Syria. This is partly because I really liked Lebanon when I was there (and regret not having been able to visit Syria), but also because the girls and ZoƩlie are now living in Cyprus, where Ingrid is working for the EU. And Beirut is only a short boat ride away. And talking about boats, that would be part of my dream: living on a boat and being able to just sail away whenever we feel like it, spending holidays sailing round the Mediterranean. Dreams and ideas, but we'll see where the winds blows us. Especially since the beginning of the end has started today: applying for jobs! We had said we would only start looking and applying for jobs starting August, since we want to properly round off our current projects in Zim. So, it will be hard to find something for both Thomas and me, so we made a deal that whoever finds something first (which provides enough for the both of us) takes it, and the other will follow. Then we'll swap in two or three years time...
But though I hope to quickly find something, I would also like to spend some time in Belgium, as it's been a long time since I've been back and babies grow up so quickly...

But we'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Annick M. said...

Hei,
we are waiting for you in Cyprus. even more if you come sailing, but let us know and we will take sailing lessons right away and buy a good lifejacket for Zoelie! Kiss. Ingrid &cie