Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bruno's Birthday Braai


Only the second time, but it felt a bit like a tradition. This Saturday, 13th of June, I turned 31, and that was the excuse to throw a little barbecue for our friends in Zim. I really like the vibe of our place at that time, we put up sofas in the garden, fabrics on the grass, people hang about and chat, smoke the waterpipe, play a bit of music. It's not a party atmosphere but chilled, with little groups colliding and separating...
It felt a bit funny, since last year's braai marked sort of our arrival, the beginning of our social life and networking. Compared to last year, there were maybe half the same people, but also a lot of missing ones, that have left the country, and lots of new ones. 

Capoeiristas, colleagues, neighbours, folks with kids, black, Indian, from Belgium and other expats, it's nice to see the mixture of people we hang out with.    

Several people asked me that eternal question: so, not sad that you're getting older. At first at a loss for an answer, I finally actually started saying that no, it was the opposite. It was another year of my life that was full and interesting, with learning and growing opportunities, new faces in different places, families expanding...  If I would like at my life and go: damn, already 31 and what have I accomplished, then I would feel sad. But now, no, I'm pretty content with what has happened and where I am currently... And isn't that the best birthday gift I can wish for myself?

2 comments:

annibor said...

You're so right in your last sentence !!! So, happy and happy birthday, Bruno, from an old colleague... in arabic classroom.

Unknown said...

Hi Bruno! I enjoyed reading your blog posts! You lead an interesting life! I'm currently working on my school project about Zimbabwe and your blog actually helped me, so thanks a lot! Hmmm. But can you tell me what is/are the lucky number(s) of Zimbabweans? Thanks a lot!
Can you email me the answer at relaxation_abc_123@hotmail.com ? Thanks again!