Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Capoeira: once again!


An ocean between here and Brazil, but in reality back to the African roots: capoeira is everywhere, even in Harare, Zim. I did capoeira, the mixture of dance/combat/play for a couple of months in Porto Alegre, Brasil and arriving here was excited when I heard there was also a club doing it here, and at only 5 minutes away from our house. So, twice a week I go jumping, playing and dancing, and afterwards drag my aching body back. Honestly, of all the sports I've done, I think capoeira is the most intense one, cause you use all of your body and keep stretching your limits of exhaustion and movements. But where I was aching in the beginning, it's already getting better after a couple of weeks.

And of course, the sport and exercise is just one aspect, the entire philosophy and atmosphere that comes with the capoeira is a perfect way of getting to know people and go places. There is a natural laid-back feeling about capoeira, and players are usually more outgoing and simply fun to be with.

Last Saturday, we met at the house of one of my co-capoeiristas to exercise and, natural show offs as they are, to take some pictures, of which here a couple. It's still a long way away before I'll be doing these, but I'm working on it!

1 comment:

Goedels said...

Waarom zien we al die anderen op hun handen staan en jou op twee benen? :)